How late will I be at the courthouse?

The court's normal hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Prospective jurors should make arrangements to remain the entire day.

I’m busy.  Why should I serve?

As a citizen you participate in an important public process and fulfill a civic obligation. All persons accused of a crime or involved in a civil dispute have a constitutional right to have a jury decide their cases. When you serve on a jury, you make important decisions affecting other people's lives as well as your own community.

What if I am a mother who is breastfeeding?

Pursuant to California Rules of Court, section 2.1006, a mother who is breastfeeding a child may request that jury service be deferred for up to one year, and may renew that request as long as she is breastfeeding, however the request must be in writing, under penalty of perjury.

How long does a trial take?

Trial length depends on how complex the issues are and how long jurors spend in deliberations. Most trials last 3-7 days, but some may go longer. The judge knows approximately how long the trial will take and he or she will give you an idea when your group is called for jury selection. Judges are aware that long trials can be difficult. Let the judge know if it would be a serious hardship for you to serve on a long trial. Please be patient during this process, because other jurors have similar concerns.

Do I get compensated as a juror?

Prospective jurors are paid fees and mileage beginning with their second day of service.  Fees are paid at the end of a trial, at the rate of fifteen ($15) dollars per day and thirty four (.34) cents per mile, one way only from their home to the courthouse. 

Note: Jurors that work for a federal, state, or local government agency, which includes county, city, and school districts who receive benefits, must waive their jury fees.  (Code of Civil Procedure, Section 481.200 and 215)

Who is exempt from jury service?

You are exempt if you:

  • Are not a citizen
  • Are not a resident of the county
  • Are under 18 years of age
  • Are subject of conservatorship
  • Do not have sufficient knowledge of the English language

How many days will I have to serve?

The Superior Court uses the "One Day/One Trial" program under California Rules of Court, Rule 2.1002. This is intended to make jury service more convenient by shortening the time that a person is required to serve to one day or one trial. If you are assigned to a courtroom for jury selection or serve on a trial, you will continue your service until the trial is completed. Click here for more information.

How often must I serve?

In the County of San Bernardino, once a person has served as a juror, they are exempt from further jury service for 12 months.

Does my employer have to pay me while I serve on jury duty?

By law employers are not required to compensate employees while they are on jury service. Many employers support the jury system and provide jury service benefits and will continue employee wages while they serve. Please check with your employer regarding your company's policy.

Can my employer prevent me from serving as a juror?

State law (Labor Code, Section 230) prohibits an employer from discharging or in any manner discriminating against an employee for taking time off to serve as a juror if the employee, prior to taking such time off, gives reasonable notice to the employer of the requirement to serve as a juror.

Why do jurors seem to wait around so much?

There are many courtroom processes that must be handled outside of the presence of the jury to protect the integrity of the trial. 

The judge, attorneys and court staff make every effort to keep your wait to a minimum; however you may wish to bring a book or something to occupy your time while waiting.  Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Do I have to serve if I am 70 or older?

If you are age 70 or over and have either a physical or mental disability or impairment you may be excused from jury service. 

May I serve on a jury if I am a felon?

Effective January 1, 2020, Senate Bill 310 amended California Civil Code of Procedures 203(a). The amendment is to the prohibition relative to persons who have been convicted of a felony from being eligible and qualified to be a prospective trial juror. Instead, the new law now makes persons previously convicted of a felony now eligible and qualified, unless

  • you are currently incarcerated in any prison or jail, or
  • you have been convicted of a felony and are currently on parole, post release community supervision, felony probation, or mandated supervision for the conviction of a felony, or
  • you are currently required to register as a sex offender based on a felony conviction (Penal Code 290).

May I serve on a jury if I have been convicted of malfeasance in office?

You may not serve on a jury if you have been convicted of a malfeasance in office and your civil rights have not been restored. See California Code of Civil Procedure, Section 203(a) (5). However, if you have received a pardon from the Governor and had your civil rights restored, pursuant to California Penal Code, Section 4852.01-4854, you may serve on a jury. There are two ways to receive a pardon: one is by applying for and being granted a Certificate of Rehabilitation and Pardon, and the second is through a Direct Application for Pardon. Please consult an attorney for legal advice or your probation office for further guidance.

What if I do not speak English?

You do not need to speak perfect English to serve as a juror. The court uses common, everyday language that people can understand. The work done by the courts affects all people, so it is important that all communities be a part of our justice system. No one person has to know everything. Jurors decide the outcome of a trial as a group, with each member making an important contribution. If you cannot understand English, follow the instructions on the summons or contact the Jury Administration Office at (909) 884-1858. If you need assistance, a friend or a family member who speaks English may call for you. However, you may still have to come in person to request a disqualification.

How did you get my name?

All potential jurors are selected at random from lists. Courts use Department of Motor Vehicles and voter registration lists. 

If your information is incorrect, please contact either the Registrar of Voters or Department of Motor Vehicles at the numbers listed below.

Registrar of Voters or call (909) 387-8300

Department of Motor Vehicle or call 1-800-777-0133